DEPARTMENT OF ONCOLOGY
The department of Oncology was inaugurated on 26.03.2013. It is a comprehensive cancer centre with Radiation Oncology, Medical Oncology and Surgical Oncology with motto of integrated approach towards cancer management, supported by trained staff for patient counselling, well equipped day care center to cater both outpatient and inpatients and pain and palliative physicians. The department is treating patients from Dakshina Kannada, Udupi, Chikmangalore, Uttara Kannada, Shimoga, some parts of North Karnataka and neighbouring districts of Kerala. Recently we started holistic approach towards cancer management by meditation (Sanjeeviniprogramme in association with Brahma Kumari) which helps to improve patient care, patient cure and better patient compliance and also parichay program by Reliance Life Sciences about Cancer awareness and treatment.
Dr. Jayarama Shetty K - MBBS, MD – Prof & HOD (Radiation Oncology)
Dr. Mallikarjuna Rao - MBBS, MD – Radiation Oncology
Dr. Vishwanath - MBBS, MS, Mch – Surgical Oncology
Dr. Vijith Shetty – MBBS, MD, DM(Medical Oncology)
Dr. Ail Sandeep – MBBS, MD – Radiation Oncology
Clinical Services (Departmental Infrastructure)
- Medical Linear Accelerator with 2 photons and 5 electrons
- Mould Room with modern mould facilities
- Advanced treatment planning system
- Medical Linear Accelerator
- Computerized treatment Planning
- Patient Immobilization Mould
- The department is equipped with Linear Accelerator (Dual energy photons, 5 energies of electrons and CT simulator first of its kind in Mangalore which can deliver
- Two Dimensional Radiotherapy (2DRT)
- Three Dimensional Radiotherapy (3DCRT)
- Intensity Modulated Radiotherapy (IMRT – Dynamic Leaf MLC – faster treatment)
- Image Guided Radiotherapy (IGRT)
- The floor area of the department consists of 28000 sqft.
- We have one Minor OT in our department.
- The bed strength of the department is 40.
- Schemes applicable – Sampoorna Suraksha, Vajpayee Arogyashree, Yashashwini, Arogyabhagya, ESI, Kshema Health Card, Nerekere Kshema,
- Facilities extended - Patient counselling, pain & palliative, day care, Chemotherapy for solid malignancy
- Extension activities – attended Vajpayee camps at various places, attended radio programme for giving awareness about the department, information is given through brochures, and publicity is given through paper advertisement, radio and television.
- The department is one of the best equipped with best of its facilities including a Linear Accelerator, the first of its kind in Mangalore. We also offer good patient care.
- We have good interaction and co-ordination with other departments.