DEPARTMENT OF ANATOMY
The Department of Anatomy caters to pre-clinical anatomy requirements for medical, dental, physiotherapy and nursing students. It has demonstration rooms, lecture halls with audio-visual aids, a museum, well-equipped laboratories and a library. The department also has a mortuary & artists room and offers embalming facilities to the public at subsidised rates.
The anatomy museum is located in a spacious, well-illuminated and ventilated hall on the ground floor of the college, adjacent to the dissection hall. At present, the museum has more than 450 dissected wet specimens mounted in glass jars, painted with a special technique. The museum also has plastic and fibre glass models, skeletons and painted bones showing attachments of muscles and ligaments.
The specimens are arranged regionwise with sub-divisions of extremities, head and neck, thorax, abdomen & pelvis, developmental and neuro-anatomy. A catalog giving a brief description of the specimen, is available at the museum as reference for the students.
The anatomy dissection hall has a floor area of 2,850 sq.ft. and is located on the ground floor. The hall is well-ventilated, has natural lighting and additional lighting sources. Adjacent to the dissection hall, are the embalming room, freezing chamber, modeller and curators rooms, band saw and x-ray lobbies. Students are provided with individual lockers.
Academic activities and Publications
Ongoing Research Projects
||Dr. Martin Lucas
||Professor and Head
||Dr. Vinaya Kumar
||Dr. Anuja Sinha
||Ms. Prima SwethaDSouza
||Ms. Chaitra D.
||Dr. Pranup Roshan Quadras
||Dr. Dane Maria Varghese
Awards & Achievements
- “Buccal Mucosal DNA Damage And Salivary Antioxidant Status Following Radiotherapy In Patients With Head And Neck Cancer” - Dr. Vinay Kumar V., Dr. Suchetha Shetty., Dr. Jayaram Shetty.
- “Comparing The Effect Of Acacia catechu And Adathoda Zeylenica On Biochemical Genotoxic And Histopathological Changes Seen In Streptozotocin And Gentamicin Induced Nephrotoxicity In Rats” – Mrs. Prima Swetha D’Souza., Dr. Rajendra Holla.
- “To Study The Enzyme Imbalance For the Development Of Varicosity In Young Adult Male Population Of South India” – Mrs. Remya.K., Dr. Rajesh Ballal., Dr. Sunil Kumar.Y.
- “Arterial Supply Of The Hand Using Vascular Injection Technique” – Dr. Pranup Roshan Quadras., Dr. Martin Lucas A.
- “Histological Tissue Processing Using A Microwave” – Dr. Dane Maria Varghese., Dr. Martin Lucas A.
- “Prognostic Value Of HER-2 Overexpression In Metastatic Gastric cancer” – Dr. Vijith Shetty., Mrs. Prima Swetha D’Souza., Mrs. Meenakshi.
- “Morphological Study Of Coronary Sinus And Its Valve (Thebesian Valve)” – Ms. Teena Jabir., Dr. Amith Ramos.
- Dr. Sachin K.S, was awarded Diplomate of National Board (DNB) in the discipline of Anatomy by National Board of Examinations, New Delhi in May 2016.
- Dr. Vinay Kumar V was awarded PG diploma in Bio Ethics and Medical Ethics by Yenepoya University on December 2016.