Department of Microbiology
The medical academy houses full-fledged academic sections for training Undergraduates and Postgraduates. The Department has one undergraduate practical hall and two demonstration rooms, as well as a museum to support its teaching activities. The well-equipped service laboratories in the academic sections cater to training postgraduates and undergraduates for academics and research purpose.
An additional asset to the Department is its well qualified teachers who adopt innovative methods for teaching. The training methods include diabetic lectures, seminars, web based learning, small group teaching, mind map classes and laboratory based training. Initiatives have been taken to provide supplementary online learning material through a course website hosted on the institutions online learning management system.
The central laboratory at Justice K.S Hegde Charitable Hospital, is a 24 hour laboratory which caters to diagnostics. It is equipped with high specific and sensitive instruments to aid early diagnosis and treatment. Skilled and trained technicians are available round the clock and well qualified clinical microbiologists are available through the week for reporting and advice.
- The Department has obtained research grants from a number of external funding agencies. The staff and postgraduates are involved in publications in various indexed journals. Staff member have undergone fellowship programme in stem cell from outside university.
- Acquisition Molecular Diagnostic Tools upgradation of laboratory service.
- Require resources to upgrade laboratory services to meet NABL requirements and preparation for NABL accreditation.
- Training programme for the upgradation of staff skills to meet the present requirements.
- Viral diagnostic set – up for early and reliable diagnosis.
- Gene expert for diagnosis of mycobacterium tuberculosis and viruses.
- The ability to scale up in its diagnostic services provided, along with provision of advanced quality diagnostic services at an affordable cost to the mass public.
- The Department looks forward to introducing innovative teaching techniques to make learning more interesting and to start newer diagnostic techniques for better patient care.
- The Department participates in medical health checkup camps and blood donation camps conducted by the Hospital.
- The Department provides laboratory services to both in-patient and out-patients of the attached teaching medical and dental college hospitals and also offers services in bacteriology, serology and parasitology. The Serology department has a fully automated ELISA system and all the sections are equipped with necessary instruments to carry out their diagnostic work. BacT/Alert system is used for automated blood and body fluid culture for early diagnosis of pathogens and Vitek is used for determining MIC values for antibiotic sensitivity for treatment. the Department has introduced ANA Screening and profile for autoimmune diseases and Chemiluminescence for testing HIV, HCV, HBV.
Dr. A Veena Shetty had received recognition for outstanding mentoring of Wake Forest School of Medicine Medical Students, 2015-2019.