Department of Physiology
The Department of Physiology caters to the pre-clinical physiology requirements for medical, dental, physiotherapy and nursing students and allied health science courses like Medical laboratory technology, Medical Imaging technology, Anesthesia & operation theatre technology, Bio medical Sciences. They also offer MD and Ph.D. courses. The department has very good teaching learning infrastructure including five laboratories in the department. The Hematology laboratory with facilities for training in Haemoglobinometry, blood cell counts, PCV, ESR, blood grouping and typing and hemostasis tests, the Human Physiology Laboratory with 6 Digital Data Acquisition Work stations for recording and analysis of a variety physiological parameters in human subject, the Clinical Physiology Laboratory for training in basics of clinical examination and BLS training, Amphibian, Mammalian Physiology and Research Laboratories as per MCI requirements. There is also a skill lab for, a departmental library, a seminar room and two demonstration rooms. The department also has an E-Learning Course Web-page on NUeLearn.
Research Thrust Areas
- Autonomic neuroscience
- Physiology of aging
- Autonomic neuroscience
Autonomic functions are altered in several physiological and clinical conditions. Autonomic function testing is the category of electro physiology testing that is employed in the evaluation of sympathetic and parasympathetic neural pathways. Physiology department is carrying out collaborative research with clinical departments that include Psychiatry and Obstetrics and Gynaecology.
Physiology Research lab is equipped with 4-channel hi-resolution Digital Data Acquisition System to evaluate Cardiovascular Autonomic function testing including Heart Rate Variability.
Psychophysiology studies facility including Sympathetic Skin Responses / Electro dermal Activity recorder and Stimulus Presentation System.
List of related Research Projects
- Effectiveness of Slime and Fidget-Spinner Toys in Relieving Acute Stress as Measured by Heart Rate Variability in Young Adults
- Association Of Maternal Psychological Stress With Changes In Insulin Resistance During Antenatal And Postnatal Period
- Electrophysiological and Biochemical Indicators in Autism spectrum Disorders
- Evaluation of Sympathetic Sudomotor Activity in Perimenopusal Women with and without Symptoms
- Do antenatal Heart rate variability and cortisol levels predict maternal & postnatal stress levels
- Assessment of association between baseline heart rate variability and cardiovascular responses to isotonic exercise in healthy young adults
Year – 2012 -2013
List of related publications
- Remya B , Shailaja SM. Shrinivasa UB. Bhat, Amrit M. Mirajkar,Sumanth B. Shetty. Comparison of Physiological and Biochemical Autonomic Indices in Children with and without Autism Spectrum Disorders. Medicina 2019, 55: 346 doi:10.3390/medicina55070346 www.mdpi.com/journal/medicina
- Ashwini K , Neetha S , Shailaja SM, Amrit MM and Prasanna KS. Diminished Vagal Tone and Enhanced Sympathetic Drive During Third Trimester of Gestation Among Healthy Women – A Cross Sectional Study, Indian J Physiol Pharmacol 2018; 62(4) 407-412.
- Kishan A, Markur N, Shailaja SM, Mirajkar AM. Electrodermal response to auditory stimuli in relation to menopausal transition period. J Basic,clinical physiology and Pharmacology 2018. 20(2)123-129.
- Kishan A, Shailaja SM, Mirajkar AM. Evaluation of association between psychological stress level during menopausal transition period and serum estrogen level among middle-aged women: A cross-sectional study. Natl J Physiol Pharm Pharmacol Doi: 10.5455/njppp.2017.7.0515911052017
- Neetha S. Amrit MM, Shailaja SM, Harsha HN. Resting Heart rate Variability and cardiorespiratory fitness in healthy young adults. Indian Journal of Medical Specialties 8. 2017, 17-20.
Physiology of Aging :
Assessing the biological age is more rational for categorizing a person’s age than chronological. A number of biomarkers such as - Metabolic markers, cardiovascular indices, Indicators of oxidative stress, inflammatory markers and Markers of cellular senescence are useful predictors of healthy aging.
Physiology Research lab is equipped with Anthropometry equipment – Body Fat Mass Analyzer, Skin-fold thickness callipers for evaluate the metabolic markers of aging.
List of research projects
- An Evaluation Of Physiological, Biochemical And Cytological Indices Of Ageing Among Patients With Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus Year- 2012 onwards
- Assessment of Anti-ageing effect of Curcumin longa in Wister rats by evaluating Physiological, Biochemical and Histological Indices Year- 2012 onwards
List of publications
- Shruthi SHI , Shailaja SM , Raghava S , Amrit MM Metabolic and cardiovascular profile in type 2 diabetes mellitus patients undergoing different treatment modalities J. Evolution Med. Dent. Sci. 2019;8(24):1921-1925, DOI: 10.14260/jemds/2019/422.
- Anushree Adoor, Shailaja SM Age of menarche in relation to exogenous factors among rural and urban school going girls Evolution Med. Dent. Sci. 2019; 8(10):745-748, DOI: 10.14260/jemds/2019/163.
- Shruthi S H I ,Shailaja SM , Raghava S .Metabolic and Cardiovascular Ageing Indices in Relation to Glycated Haemoglobin in Healthy and Diabetic Subjects :Current Ageing Science. 2017 10 (3)201-210.
- Shailaja SM, Damodar G, Suchetha Kumari. Anti-aging role of Curcumin by modulating the inflammatory markers in albino Wistar rats -Journal of National Medical Association; 2017 vol 109, No 1, 9-13