The Department of Cardiology commenced in our hospital in the year 2007 October with Prof. Dr. Subramanyam K as the Head of the Department & Consultant Interventional Cardiologist who has been a committed, skilled, compassionate and internationally renowned doctor. He has been dedicated to give his expertise to patients of all age groups.
Our Department offers the latest innovations in cardiac care both to out patients and in patients of all ages. We provide state-of-the-art tests and procedures to help in giving accurate diagnosis and create treatment plan. We see patients with very common heart problems such as angina, valvular heart disease, congenital heart disease, peripheral arterial disease and heart failure.
Our Cardiologists use a broad range of treatment options to give each patient the best care possible. These include life style modification recommendations, medications and interventional procedures.
We at the Cardiology Department do regular community outreach programmes for giving awareness and treatment to the most rural parts of this region.
Dr. SUBRAMANYAM. K
Professor & HOD
MBBS., MD (PGIMER, Chandigarh), DNB (Cardiology),
Fellow of American College of Cardiology,
Fellow of European Society of Cardiology
Fellow of Society of Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions
Dr. USHA P RAO
MBBS., MD, DM (Cardiology)
Dr. DILIP JOHNY
Senior Resident & Consultant
Out patients department
Our out patients department’s primary mission is to deliver high quality cardiovascular care by listening carefully to all our patient’s concerns and trying to devise the very best evaluation with advance technology and the best practices in non invasive Cardiology.
Non invasive Workup of patients:–
- Treadmill test (TMT)
- 2D&4D Echocardiography–both Transthoracic and Transoesophageal
- Stress Echocardiography
- Holter Monitoring
We have 2 full time echo technicians and 4 nursing assistants who work in both out patients and critical care units.
We also have 2 cardiac secretaries who work behind the scenes and take care of the reporting, discharge summaries, maintaining cardiac data base of all patients treated on OP and IP basis for the smooth running of the department.
Coronary Care Unit
We have the best team of doctors and nurses who provide compassionate, skilled and experienced personal care to each patient. We not only take care of the physical heart but also give good emotional support both to the patient and the bystanders to make their CCU stay comfortable with the best of our abilities.
We have 6 beds with monitors for each, and a central monitoring system.
- ECG & portable echo machine
- ABP-Intra Aortic Balloon Pump
- Infusion pumps
- ACT Machine
- ABG machine
- Personal – 1 : 1 - patient : nursing staff ratio
We have the most skillful and experienced interventional cardiologists with trained floor technicians and nurses who are available round the clock. We use state-of-the-art cath lab machine– GE Innova 2100 with low radiation profile, auto spin and high resolution images. We have done diverse and rare interventional procedures in the last 10 years.
- Coronary angiogram and Angioplasties (both radial & femoral route)
- Peripheral angiogram and Angioplasties (specialized in carotid
and renal angioplasties)
- Endovascular Aneurysm Repair (EVAR)
- Balloon Mitral / Tricuspid / Pulmonary Valvuloplasties
- Permanent & Temporary Pacemaker Implantations
- ICD (Implantable Cardioverter-Defibrillator) implantation
- CRT (Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy) & Combo Device Implantation
- ASD / VSD / PDA Device Closures
- Alcohol Septal Ablation
- Gel Foam Embolisations
- IVC filter
- Right Heart Study
Academic activities and Publications
- Reaching the door step of cardiac patients
- Camps – Reaching to the unreachable –free cardiac consultation, blood pressure, blood sugars,ECGandEcho.
- Dhanvanthari Camps – Super specialty camps at Northern Kerala
- Vajapayee Camps – Super Specialty camps at various places in Karnataka.
- Camps for school children – to reach children and parents
- Camps for government officials – KSRP, Nandini Milk Federation, Fisheries College.
- Camps conducted in association with NGOs, Rotary Clubs and Lions Club.
- Teaching and training programs for Medicine post-graduate students, Nursing students, Pharm D students and other para-medical students round the year.
- Conducting CME's and conferences in Cardiology in association with national and international faculties.
- ECG, Echo and Interventional workshops.
- Advanced Clinical and research programs.