DEPARTMENT OF FORENSIC MEDICINE AND TOXICOLOGY
The Department of Forensic Medicine and Toxicology imparts education to the students of 2nd MBBS in the III, IV, V semesters & Postgraduate students. The department conducts medico-legal autopsy assigned by the law agency at the Justice K. S. Hegde Charitable Hospital, handles sexual assault cases and provides expert medico-legal opinion and to the D.K. Police, CID, and CBI. The department also trains graduates of various Forensic Science Institutes of Karnataka State honorarily
The Department of Forensic Medicine and Toxicology has the following facilities:
- Laboratory for examination of medico-legal specimens and skeleton remains
- Mortuary with radiographic facilities as per the MCI requirement
- Research laboratory
- Tissue processing room
- Cold storages and embalming services
- An updated museum
- Postmortem Exam round the clock
- Toxicology laboratory regularly conducts nacrotic drug tests for D.K. Police & Mangalore Poice Commissionerate.
Departmental library equipped with text books, manuals and Journals, such as the Journal of Indian Academy of Forensic Medicine, Journals of Karnataka Medico legal society, Journal of Medico legal update, Indian Journal of Medical Ethics, Journal of Clinical Forensic Medicine (Online), Medicine, Science and the Law, Journal of Legal Medicine, Legal Medicine, Indian Journal of Forensic Medicine & Toxicology, Medical Law cases for Doctors, Journal of South India Medicolegal Association, IAFM Indian Academy of Forensic Mesdicine, Forensic Science International, Journal of Forensic and Legal Medicine, Journal of Medical Genetics, Journal of Fornsic dental Science.
Forensic Medicine department of KSHEMA is the only Forensic department in this part of Karnataka, which has been conducting examination of the sexual assualt survivor and accused as per the guidelines of Ministry of health and welfare guildelines, on a regular basis through Collaborative Child Response Unit (CCRU).
Department is actively participating in the crime scene visit and investigation along with Karnataka police from past one decade.
Academic activities and Publications
Ongoing Research Projects
||Professor & Head
||Dr.Cherian Philemon Kurian
- Dr. Cherian Philemon Kurian, PG Student – “Statures Estimation using Craniometric Analysis in the Adult Population of Dakshina Kannada – A cross sectional study”
- Dr. Meena Kiran, PG Student – “Morphometric sex estimation using mastoid traingle – A prospective study.”
- Dr Pratik Tarvadi, Assistant Professor is pursuing Ph.D in “Reliability of Bite Mark Analysis as a Tool for Forensic Investigation.” at Nitte University, Mangalore.
- Dr. Kumuda Rao, Senior Lecture, Department of Oral Medicine & Radiology, Ph.D in “Morphometric correlation between facial soft-tissue profile shape and skeletal pattern using core-beam computed tomography for the purpus of forensic identification utility in South Indian population”.
- Dr. Mahabalesh Shetty, Professor & HOD, Forensic Medicine. Nominated to be a member of Board of Studies in Criminology for a period of two years as per the letter from the Registrar of Mangalore University.
- Dr. Mahabalesh Shetty, Professor & HOD, Forensic Medicine, Elected as President of South India Medico-legal Association for the year 2016.
- Dr. Suraj Shetty, Assistant Professor, Forensic Medicine, Elected as Treasurer of South India Medico-legal Association for the year 2016.
- Prof.(Dr.) Mahabalesh Shetty, has been appointed to the foundation steering committee member of India of the UNESCO Chair in Bioethics Haifa in proclamation of the establishment of the Bioethics Unit at Nitte University on the 28th of November 2016.
- Mahabalesh Shetty, Professor & HOD, Forensic Medicine. Nomination as member of Academic Council of Nitte University for the period 01-04-2017 to 31-03-2019.
- Mahabalesh Shetty, Professor & HOD, Forensic Medicine, Appointed as special member of Maternal Mortality meeting committee, District Health office, D.K. District. The meeting was held 0n 27th June 2017.
- Madan Raj, Postgraduate Student, Forensic Medicine, Presented a paper (Oral) titled “Emerging Trend of Suicide By Plastic Bag Suffocation- A Case Report” at XIII Annual Conference of South India Medico Legal Association (SIMLA) from 08-10-2016 to 09-10-2016 at Department of Forensic Medicine & Toxicology, K.S.Hegde Medical Academy, Nitte University, Mangalore and has bagged First place & Dr. G.M.Krishna Rao cash award for best paper presentation.
- Mr. Ajish Sam George, Student, Won the II Place – Best Team Award in the State Level Debate Competition Topic: Human Cloning – ‘To Ban’ or ‘Not to Ban’ at Father Muller Medical College, Mangalore on 30th April 2016.
- Dr. Meena Kiran, Postgraduate Student, Forensic Medicine, Won the III Place in the Quiz on Medical Ethics conducted during the CME on MEDICAL ETHICS held at Department of Forensic Medicine & Toxicology, Kanchur Institute of Medical Sciences, Natekal, Mangaluru on 26th of November2016.