Department of Respiratory Therapy
- Established in 1999, K.S. Hegde Medical Academy (KSHEMA) became a constituent college of Nitte (Deemed to be University) in 2009. The Institution is named after its founder, the visionary, Late Justice K S Hegde, former Judge of the Supreme Court of India and Speaker of the Lok Sabha. The Institution has made rapid progress towards being recognized as a medical school with high academic standards, delivering quality health care with an emphasis on promoting social responsibility in its students. In keeping with the vision and mission of Nitte (Deemed to be University).
- Established in the year 2001 , The Department of Respiratory therapy is the speciality department of KSHEMA & caters for the basic tertiary care referral services to advanced interventional pulmonary services and to the molecular research of pulmonary diseases.
- We provide state-of-the-art clinical evaluation, diagnosis and treatment services to patients with health problems such as:
- Asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases, sleep-disordered breathing, interstitial lung diseases, cystic fibrosis, occupational lung diseases, pulmonary rehabilitation, tuberculosis, lung cancers and many more
Why Respiratory therapy @ Nitte:
- The Department of Respiratory therapy @ KSHEMA is a sophiscated , state-of-the-art speciality department with an efficient team comprising of Specialized Doctors and allied healthcare staff.
- Equipped with latest tools for diagnosis and management of pulmonary disorders.
- Aims to follow benchmark standards in the field of Respiratory therapy.
- Training postgraduates , interns , allied medical fields in Respiratory therapy.
- Involved in scientific research and publications.
- Disseminate and propogate awareness among the community
Courses & Training:
The Department of Respiratory therapy provides training to Postgraduate students in Internal Medicine, Physiology and MBBS internship and 3rd semester students. Apart from medical, allied health students from Pharmacy also take training in Respiratory therapy.
Community Outreach / Public Awareness Programmes:
The Department of Respiratory therapy conducts camps as per the policies of Nitte University and K S Hegde Charitable Hospital. Patients are referred from rural health centers to the department in view of tertiary care.
As part of creating public awareness regarding various respiratory ailments, Doctors take part in TV & radio shows.