Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology
The Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology of K. S. Hegde Medical Academy, is well ventilated, has natural lighting and is well equipped to provide women with comprehensive health care ranging from antenatal and postnatal care, general gynaecology, infertility services, cancer screening for gynaecological oncology and family planning services. It has adequate demonstration rooms, lecture halls with audio visual aids, museum, well equipped labour theatre and a library. The department trains students at the undergraduate and postgraduate level, as well as students of paramedical courses like Physiotherapy and Nursing. The department plans to have a renewed ‘state-of –art’ labour theatre with suite rooms.
Research Thrust Areas:
Some of the ongoing research projects in our department are:
- Optimizing the generation of human umbilical cord blood-derived mesenchymal stem cells for potential clinical use.
- Pregnancy – related outcomes with positive anti- Thyroperoxidase antibodies.
- Association of Single nucleotide polymorphism of leptin gene with Metabolic parameters in Gestational diabetes mellitus..
The K.S. Hegde Medical Academy IVF lab is located in a spacious, well equipped and ventilated hall on the second floor, where all basic infertility(IUI) and ART procedures like IVF and ICSI are performed.
- We have a labour simulator “Lucina” and Laparoscopic Trainer which is utilised for teaching Under Graduate and Post Graduate students.
- Antenatal Clinic: High risk pregnancy care, management of bad obstetric history cases. The in-patient department includes 4 wards, with 110 beds.
- Family Planning Clinic: Counselling, distribution of oral contraceptives, condoms and IUCD insertion for free of cost, tubal sterilization both minilap and laparoscopy.
- We have Well-equipped Air conditioned Labour Theatres (4 beds) with adult and fetal monitors, portable ultrasound machine. We have L.T O.T where emergency obstetric procedures are carried out..
- We have painless Labour Clinic in association with the department of Anaesthesia.
- We have eclampsia room, common High Dependency Unit (HDU), closed ICU and New-born care areas (NICU) with 16 beds, Ante-partum and post-partum observation rooms with special high risk pregnancy ward (8 beds). We have major Operation Theatre where elective obstetric and major gynaecology procedures, Laparoscopic and Hysteroscopic procedures are carried out.
- We have Oncology department with specialists like radiation oncologist, Onco surgeon and Medical Oncologist. We perform all gynaec Oncology procedures after discussing the cases in tumour board.
- We have PPTCT (Prevention of Parent To Child Transmission) centre in our hospital, where all pregnant women are counselled and tested for HIV.
- We provide cancer screening and counselling in menopausal clinic .
Our staff and Post Graduates attend various camps in and around in Mangaluru where antenatal and gynaec patients are seen and referred to KSHEMA for further care and antenatal services. Some of the camps include Natekal and Boliyar on every Thursday, B.C Road on first Tuesday and Farangipete on third Tuesday of every month and also Endosulfan Puttur and Thalipady camps. On the 9th of every month the staff visit Natekal PHC for free antenatal visits under Pradhan Manthri Matritva Suraksha Abhiyaan (PMSMA) Scheme. One postgraduate is sent on a rotatory basis to Gajria hospital OBG department.