Department of Public Health
Research Thrust Areas
- Spatial Analysis in Public health
Decision Support System in Public Health
- Tobacco Control
- Public Health Nutrition – Child & Adolescent nutrition
- Dmello MK, Badiger S, Kumar S, Galey K, Kumar N, Dsouza N. Geospatial Analysis of Malnutrition among Under-Five Children: A Scoping Review. J Heal Allied Sci NU. 2023 Apr 14;
- Purushothama J, Badiger S, Olickal JJ, Kunkulol R, Kumar N, D’Souza N. Effectiveness of nicotine replacement therapy on smoking cessation and reduction among pulmonary tuberculosis patients – A randomized controlled trial. Int J Prev Med. 2023;14(1):33.
- Surabhi Gitika Priya, Jayalakshmy Ramakrishnan, Premkumar Ramasubramani, Jeby Jose Olickal, Sadhana Subramanian, Subitha Lakshminarayanan. Acessibility to safe and hygienic sanitation facilities and the prevalence of open-air defecation among the school going adolescents in rural Puducherry. Hygiene and Environmental Health Advances.2023;5(1):100044
- Yella T, Dmello MK. Burnout and sleep quality among community health workers during the pandemic in selected city of Andhra Pradesh. Clin Epidemiol Glob Heal. 2022;16:101109.
- Rao NL, Kotian GB, Shetty JK, Shelley BP, Dmello MK, Lobo EC, et al. Receptor for Advanced Glycation End Product, Organ Crosstalk, and Pathomechanism Targets for Comprehensive Molecular Therapeutics in Diabetic Ischemic Stroke. Biomolecules. 2022;12(11):1–20.
- Purushothama J, Badiger S, Kumar N, Baikunje N, D’Souza N, Olickal J, et al. “Once a smoker, always a smoker: Primary care physicians” views on integrating smoking cessation with antitubercular treatment in primary health centers – A qualitative study. J Ment Heal Hum Behav. 2022;0(0):0.
- Dmello MK, Badiger S, Kumar S, Kumar N, Dsouza N. Spatial and Space time Clustering of Diarrhoeal Cases among Under-Five Children in Karkala, Karnataka: A Geo-Spatial Analysis. J Res Med Dent Sci. 2022 Mar 1;10(3):20–7.
- Purushothama J, Badiger S, Kumar N, Baikunje N, D’souza N, D’mello M, et al. Validity assessment of self-reported smoking status to detection of urine cotinine levels among patients with tuberculosis undergoing tobacco cessation treatment. Biomedicine. 2022 May 1;42(2):371–6.
- Dmello MK, Badiger S, Kumar S, Kumar N, D’souza N, Purushotam J. Geospatial analysis and hotspots of diarrheal cases among under-five children within a rural district of Karnataka, India. Biomedicine. 2022 Jul 3;42(3):594–9.
- Mampilli AJ, D’mello MK. Quality of life among seafarers aboard the government passenger ships at Kochi Port. Int Marit Health. 2022;73(3):143–9.
- Kenwood DM, Sanjeev B, Sudeep K, Kumar N, D’Souza N, Purushotam J. Use of spatial analytics and geographic information systems in childhood diarrhoea in rural areas of India: A protocol paper. Biomedicine. 2022 Dec 31;42(6):1237–42.
- Rao AK, Shrisharath K, Nanjesh Kumar S, Hiremat S, Jagannath P, Erappa S. A study on the utilization of Ayushman Bharat arogya scheme among patients admitted to a tertiary care hospital during Covid pandemic. Biomedicine. 2022 Dec 31;42(6):1233–6.
- Olickal JJ, Chinnakali P, Suryanarayana BS, Rajanarayanan S, Vivekanandhan T, Saya GK, et al. Down referral and assessing comprehensive diabetes care in primary care settings: An operational research from India. Diabetes Metab Syndr. 2023 Jan;17(1):102694.
- Mathew R, Olickal JJ. Out-of-pocket expenditure on non-communicable diseases during Covid-19. A cross-sectional study from a semi-urban area of Kannur, Kerala. Clin Epidemiol Glob Health. 2023;19:101210.
- Satyanarayana P, Olickal JJ, Thidil NE. Prevalence and factors associated with utilization of ayurvedic drugs during COVID-19. A community-based cross-sectional study. Clin Epidemiol Glob Health. 2023;19:101204
- Dmello MK, Badiger S, Kumar S, Kumar N, D’Souza N, Purushotham J. Application of Spatial Analysis to Nutritional Epidemiology among Under - Five Children in Karnataka, India. AMJ. 2022;62(01).
- Dmello MK, Kumar S, Badiger S, Purushottam J. Factors determining sexual behaviour amongst siddi tribe migrating to Udupi district, India: A cross-sectional study. Niger Postgrad Med J. 2021;28(3):225–31.
- Patel N, Olickal JJ. Maternal and child factors of under-five mortality in India. Findings from NFHS-4. Clin Epidemiol Glob Heal. 2021 Oct 1;12.
- Shresta N, D’mello MK. Internet addiction and psychological well-being among high school students of Mangaluru city, Karnataka, India. J Ment Heal Hum Behav. 2020;25(1):27.
- 4. Dixit S, D’mello M, Rent P, Rent P. Obesity and Musculoskeletal Disorders among Public Sector Bank Employees of Mangaluru Region – A Cross-sectional Study. Int J Med Public Heal. 2020 Nov 27;10(4):160–5.
- Serrao AJ, D’mello MK. Occupational injuries among building construction workers in Mangalore, India: A cross-sectional study. Int J Heal Allied Sci. 2020;9(2):116.
- Aryal S, D’mello MK. Occupational stress and coping strategy among community health workers of Mangalore Taluk, Karnataka. Indian J Public Health. 2020 Oct 1;64(4):351.
Collaborations with Minnesota University, USA: The Nitte University collaborates with the University of Minnesota, School of Public Health, where students can visit Minneapolis – Twin City Campus for attending Summer Public Health Institute for additional credits
- The Department was awarded the 'Global Partner Award' in 2017 by the University of Minnesota, USA, for its achievement in the successful conduct of student exchange programs.
- Mackwin Kenwood D'mello was awarded an 'Emerging Young Researcher' by Asia Pacific Organization for Cancer Prevention in 2017
- Mackwin Kenwood D'mello is an Associate Editor for the Journal Revista Neurology.
- The Department has conducted a state-wide evaluation of infrastructure of special newborn care units (SNCU) managed by the Government hospitals of Karnataka and funded by the National Health Mission
- Master of Public Health (MPH) students from the Department of Public Health, K S Hegde Medical Academy, Nitte University, in association with Christelijke Mutualiteit, a leading social security agency in the European Union, visited Belgium, France & Netherlands for their MPH internships in June & July 2017 through scholarships
WHAT STARTS HERE
CHANGES THE WORLD